East San Jose apartment tenants without water since Saturday – NBC Bay Area
Residents of an apartment complex in East San Jose have found ways to carry on with their daily activities as best they can after their water line broke over the weekend.
In desperation, residents of Foxdale Apartments decided to tap into a large water valve outside the building for their daily use. However, firefighters have warned them that the water can be dangerous and unsuitable for drinking.
287 residents have been without water since Saturday after the first attempt to repair the broken water pipe failed, the director said.
Many of them have decided to take their families to a hotel or motel to shower and brush their teeth. Others decided to tap into an emergency sprinkler to fill jugs and buckets with water for their daily use.
This water is not drinkable and can also cause the emergency sprinkler system to fail.
The manager of the apartment complex told NBC Bay Area she would advise tenants that the water some of them drank could be dangerous.
“I am afraid of potentially poisoning my children, my family,” said tenant Kashana Ashford. âI did the dishes and put water in a cup to brush my teeth this morning in those cups,â she said.
Before finding out that the water was not drinkable, she used it every morning and even shared it with her neighbors.
âYou wake up and the water is off. You have children. You do what you have to do,â she said.
The manager declined to comment on camera, but told NBC Bay Area they were working on fixing the broken water pipe as soon as possible.
So far, they are delivering jugs of fresh water and have brought dozens of portable porta pots.
The nearby Overfelt High School offered its gym for people to shower and residents said management has started offering hotel stays to tenants.
The main concern remains the water in the emergency sprinkler system and the health problems it can cause.
Tenants said this kind of problem only occurs in third world countries and east of San Jose.
It is not known when the water line will be repaired.