Mono Forest Fire Debris Removal Update 2020 | 100%!
Work to rebuild homes and communities destroyed by the 2020 Mountain View fire
100 percent of properties completed ee debris cleaning step; almost 17 percent cleared properties returned to county authorities to begin reconstruction
SACRAMENTO – The remains of the homes and property of survivors of the 2020 wildfires – burnt metal, concrete, ash and contaminated soil – have now been cleared of 100 per cent properties in Mono County enrolled in the State of California’s Consolidated Debris Removal Program.
Final inspection reports for more than 16 percent of 105 participating county properties have been sent to local authorities. The rest 84 percent County properties require at least one of the following critical elements of the program before being referred to county authorities: approval of soil samples by a state accredited laboratory; erosion control measures; removal of dangerous trees; and / or final walkthrough and approval.
In 2020, more than 8,000 climate-induced wildfires burned 4.2 million acres in California, destroying more than 5,700 homes. Property owners incur no direct costs for their participation in the state-run cleanup and salvage program administered by the California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) and the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) in collaboration with 25 participating counties. .
Main compensation works: 84.6% complete
Wildfire survivors had the option of using their own subcontractor or signing up for the state-run program. Of 5,991 properties across the state with damage from the 2020 fires, 3,773 pledged to have the remains of their homes and other structures cleaned up by the state.
Since May 21, 2021, state-run crews have removed burnt metal, concrete, ash and contaminated soil all 102 county properties participating in the state’s comprehensive debris removal program.
|STRUCTURAL DEBRIS REMOVED||Mono||102||100%|
|RETURN TO COUNTY FOR FINAL APPROVAL||Mono||17||16.2%|
Remaining steps to complete
Before owners can begin reconstruction, the erased properties require additional work, including:
- Separate entrepreneurs collect soil samples for verification in a state-certified laboratory that they meet state health and environmental safety standards.
- Contractors can then install erosion control measures.
- Certified arborists or professional foresters assess trees damaged by forest fires risk of falling on public or public infrastructure to be removed by separate contractors.
- To finish, state agents inspect property to verify that all completed work meets state standards. Debris officials submit a final inspection report to local authorities to approve reconstruction of the property.
Until now, 22 County properties underwent all stages after debris removal, including soil testing, erosion control, and removal of fire damaged trees that were at risk of falling on public infrastructure prior to d ‘be sent back to the county to begin reconstruction. Seventeen county properties cleared the whole process.
LET THE RECONSTRUCTION BEGIN!
Homeowners can track the above data on the 2020 Statewide Forest Fire Debris Operations Dashboard. The dashboard is updated hourly and provides users with the ability to search by county or address.
* Data from 05/20/21 at 8:00 a.m.