Prep Highlights: Union baseball rallies in 5th place, tops Skyview
The Union Bats came alive in a five-run fifth inning and the Titans baseball team opened 4A Greater St. Helens League play with a 6-3 victory over Skyview on Wednesday at the Propstra Stadium.
Luke Chaney hit a two-run brace to give the Titans a 5-1 lead, which followed hits from Devon Woods, Evan McGuire and Ben Lewis.
McGuire also pitched a full seven innings with six strikeouts, two walks and five hits allowed.
Noah Shepherd went 2-for-3 to lead Skyview, who led 1-0 through the first four innings. Caden Spanier and Seth Minor each had double RBIs in the sixth as the Storm halved Union’s four-point lead.
Stars of the day
- Hudson’s Bay baseball player Chanz Flores pitched a full game on two hits in a 1-0 win over RA Long. He struck out five and walked two.
- Mountain View baseball player Joe Wilcox allowed just two hits and walked one in seven innings in a 9-3 win over Evergreen.
- Prairie softballer Payton Blunt was 3-for-4 with three runs, two RBIs, a home run and a brace in a 12-3 win over Camas.
- Ridgefield softball Maizy Whitlow hit a grand slam in a 17-1 win over Hudson’s Bay as the Spudders improved to 8-0.
- Evergreen softball Delaney Bollman went 4-for-4 with three runs, an RBI and two doubles in a 10-4 win over Mountain View. She was also the winning pitcher, striking out five and walking one.
- Evergreen softball McKayla White went 4-for-5 with four runs, two RBIs, two doubles and three stolen bases in an 18-7 win as the Plainsmen swept a doubleheader against Mountain View.
- Heritage Boys Soccer’s Daniel Hurtado scored a hat trick in a 5-1 win over Kelso.
- Mountain View Men’s Soccer’s Nolan Dacumos-Brady scored the lone goal in a 1-0 win over Evergreen.