Santa Clara Men’s Soccer Announces 2022 Recruiting Class of Seven Players
SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Santa Clara Men’s Soccer announced the signing of seven players, from four countries, for the recruiting class of 2022.
The class includes two goalkeepers – Felix Schaefer (Berlin, Germany) and Eduardo Marine (Oakley, CA); two forwards – Jesse Anamoo (Accra, Ghana) and Chase Weiner (Fresno, CA); two central midfielders – Herman Alberg (Trondheim, Norway) and Drill Dyal (Los Gatos, CA); and a central defender – Elder Naji (Dearborn, Michigan).
“This year’s recruiting class offers great depth and a range of much-needed experience and abilities for our team,” Broncos head coach Cam Rast said. “We have players adding quality in every line and we will fight to be on the court to help our pursuit of another WCC championship and NCAA playoffs.”
HERMAN AALBERG – MIDFIELDER – NIAGARA UNIVERSITY (NIAGARA, NY) – TRONDHEIM, NORWAY
- Attended Malvik Videregående Skole school in Norway.
- Played two seasons (2020 and 2021) at Niagara University.
- 2021: Registered one goal and two assists in 12 games in 583 minutes.
- Multi-sport athlete, having participated in handball, athletics and cross-country skiing competitions.
- Club: Strindheim TF
Reason for choosing Santa Clara: “The coaches, the team, the venue and the possibility of going to the NCAA tournament.”
JESSE ANAMOO – FORWARD – NORTH PARK UNIVERSITY (CHICAGO) – ACCRA, GHANA
- Attended Niles North High School in Skokie, Illinois.
- Played one season (2021) at North Park University where he had 12 goals and five assists in 22 games.
- Named first-team All-College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin.
- Credited with four game-winning goals, a mark that placed him second in the conference.
Reason for choosing Santa Clara: “Choose those who choose you.”
PIERCE DYAL – MIDFIELDER – BELLARMINE COLLEGE PREPARATORY – LOS GATOS, CALIFORNIA
- Part of the Central Coast Championship team in the 2020-21 season.
- Club: De Anza Force (2019-2022)
- MLS Next U19
- American U17 Development Academy
- #4 seed, 2021 MLS Next Playoffs
- San Jose earthquakes (2016-2019)
- American Academy of Development U13, U15, U17
- Standout Academy Showcase (2016)
- Best XI Academy Showcase (2016)
- Football :
- National Training Center Program: 2015-2018
Reason for choosing Santa Clara: “Santa Clara offers an incredible opportunity to grow and compete on the football field, while getting a world-class education in the heart of Silicon Valley.”
NAJI ELDER – CENTER BACK – DEARBORN HIGH SCHOOL – DEARBORN, MICHIGAN
- Ranked in the top 150 players by TopDrawerSoccer.
- Ranked 10th among centre-backs in the Class of 2021.
- Club: Vardar Academy
Reason for Choosing Santa Clara: “I chose Santa Clara University because of the prestigious college and football program. I felt like it was the best fit for me academically and athletically. They have a great coaching staff, great football program, great group of guys and amazing facilities/location. I believe Santa Clara is the best path for me to take my game to the professional level.
EDUARDO MARIN – GOALKEEPER – FREEDOM HIGH SCHOOL – OAKLEY, CALIFORNIA
- College captain at Freedom High.
- All-League second team selection.
- Helped lead the Falcons to the Bay Valley Athletic League championship.
Reason for choosing Santa Clara: “I chose Santa Clara for the opportunities it offers me. I believe this is the best solution for me as I see myself improving academically, athletically and as a person in general.
FELIX SCHAEFER – GOALKEEPER – GRAND VIEW UNIVERSITY (DES MOINES, IOWA) – BERLIN, GERMANY
- Attended John F. Kennedy School in Berlin.
- Played two seasons (2020 and 2021) at Grand View University.
- Second Team Heart of America Athletic Conference selection in 2021.
- In 16 games, recorded 1,369 minutes and recorded seven shutouts.
- Made 63 saves and ranked 24the in the country with a 0.79 goals-against average.
- Club: Berlin University Selection Team / All Regions U14-U19
Reason for choosing Santa Clara: “I chose Santa Clara because I want to earn trophies while studying in one of the most beautiful regions in the United States.”
CHASE WEINER – FORWARD – BULLARD HIGH SCHOOL – FRESNO, CA
- 2021 (Senior): Named County Metro Athletic Conference Player of the Year; CMAC Offensive Player of the Year; North All-Star entrant; Central Valley Fresno Bee All-Star.
- 2020 (Junior): CMAC First Team; CMAC Offensive Player of the Year; North All-Star Participant.
- 2019 (Sophomore): Harold Young Tournament Champion
- 2018 (freshman): CMAC champion; Harold Young Tournament Champion
Reason for choosing Santa Clara: “I chose Santa Clara University because it was a perfect fit for me, the coaches and the program they put together is amazing and it’s not too far from my home to so that my family can come and watch me play.”