Women’s golf finishes fourth at USF Intercollegiate
San Francisco, California – The #25 Pepperdine women’s golf team took on many of the top teams in the West and ended up with a solid fourth place finish at the season-opening USF Intercollegiate on Tuesday.
The Waves posted a 3-for-855 total (282-287-286) over two days at the Par-71 Ocean Course at the Olympic Club. They finished closer to first place (seven strokes behind winner San Jose State) than fifth place (10 strokes ahead of BYU).
The tournament featured all five West Coast Conference schools, and Pepperdine placed well ahead of the league’s four foes.
- Second year lauren gomez (Murrieta, Calif.) tied for sixth with a 1-under 212 (68-72-72). She overcame a tough start today with three bogeys in the first six holes, but was clear the rest of the way and picked up birdies on 11 and 13. Gomez had nine birdies, a team high for the tournament.
- Junior Kaleiya Romero (San Jose, Calif.) tied for eighth with an even par of 213 (70-72-71). His even round included three birdies, including one of 18 to end his tournament.
- Junior Leo Higo (Gold Coast, Australia) tied for 14th at 216 (70-73-73). She birdied on Tuesday. Higo had 43 tournament starts to lead all players.
- First-year student jenny zhu (Nanjing, China) tied for 25th at 221 (74-70-77). She birdied the last round.
- Senior Reese Guzman (Kahului, Hawai’i) tied for 36th at 223 (78-75-70). She had the Waves best score in the third round and her 1-under day included three birdies.
The second of Pepperdine’s three fall tournaments is the Golfweek Red Sky Classic, taking place September 26-28 in Wolcott, Colorado.
Ranking by team: 1. State of San Jose 848; 2. UCLA 852; 3. California 853; 4. Pepperdine 855; 5.BYU 865; T6. Colorado 873; T6. Oregon State 873; 8.Santa Clara 877; 9. Gonzaga 887; 10.San Francisco 889.
Individual Leaders: 1. Kajsa Arwefjall (San Jose State) 202; 2. Allysha Mae Mateo (BYU) 205; 3. Cristina Ochoa (California) 207; T4. Caroline Canales (UCLA) 210; T4. Ty Akabane (UCLA) 210.