‘Working for Democracy’: Nation’s Bravest Veterans Day for Ballot Counting in Santa Clara County
The Santa Clara County Registrar of Electors is a Bay Area county working over the holiday weekend in what county election officials call an ‘all hands on deck situation,’ with hundreds of thousands of votes still to be processed.
COMPLETE LIST : Latest 2022 San Francisco Bay Area Midterm Election Results
Shopping parades, barbecues and family time – with ballot opening, unfolding, flattening and processing.
“It’s very essential right now, we have to count the ballots, so I have to be here,” said Roberto Valdez, an assistant elections technician.
Valdez served two decades in the Navy.
“Being in the military isn’t that easy, it’s not for everyone yeah, but I made it, I did 20,” he said.
And after all this time, he says there’s nowhere else he’d rather be on Veterans Day but at work overseeing the vote count.
“We’re here to support the community for democracy, so that’s very important,” he said. “I fight for democracy, now I work for democracy.”
A democracy with values passed on to younger generations, like Second Lieutenant Richard Nguyen with the California National Guard.
“When I first came in it was like money or a way to pay for school but now that I’ve been here so long I would say I try to be careful of my soldiers and try to take care of them as best as I can,” Nguyen said.
Nguyen says that translates to the Elections Office finding voters, ensuring every vote is counted and only pushing back the Veterans Day celebration by one day.
“I will miss today but not tomorrow,” he said.
Leaving a mark of gratitude from the county.
“I just want to thank all of the veterans who continue to work for us,” said Michael Borja, spokesman for the Santa Clara County Registrar of Electors. “We wouldn’t be able to do this type of work if it weren’t for the community of people who help and serve us to maintain this type of democracy here.”
The county will continue to remain open counting ballots throughout the weekend from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
A new batch of results will be posted daily at 5 p.m..
Stay with ABC7 News for the latest election news here.
LATEST STORIES & VIDEOS:
- CA Proposal Results: From Abortions to Electric Vehicles, Here’s What Should Succeed or Fail
- 2022 election results: key takeaways and race results so far; House, Senate control unclear
- 2022 California midterm election results: Who won the gubernatorial race, proposals
- Electoral Maps: Balance of Power Between Senate and House, Governor Races, California Snapshot
- Here are the candidates who will make history with predicted midterm election wins
- 5 baseless conspiracy theories for the 2022 election, verified
- Slavery Rejected in Some States, Not All, in 2022 Election
- Abortion Law: Rights Protected in Michigan, California and Vermont
- Live Ballot Tracking: Find out how many ballots were returned in California by county
If you are on the ABC7 News app, click here to watch live
Copyright © 2022 KGO-TV. All rights reserved.